Today marks the end of a week long, annual fair here in Cochabamba. Because of reports from students with varying degrees of negativity describing the Feria after their visits, I decided that I'd just avoid the whole thing. I had heard that it was boring and a sensory overload. Ted, one of the students at the institute, described the event as, "a terrible mixture of Home Depot, the worst info-mercials you've ever seen, and your local county fair." Surprisingly, that didn't incite a fire of desire in me to attend. However, at the urging of a friend, some of us went last night, at least to see this famous music group perform.
It was unlike anything I've ever experienced. It was more like an expo for a ton of products ranging from natural foods to industrial cow-milking machines. Inside a large tent were kiosks of these different companies, some with free samples while others just looking dejected at the inevitability of not being able to sell their $20,000 bread ovens. No matter the product, every kiosk had barely dressed women to help sell their goods. It was shameful at best.
Outside the tents were carnival rides and a multitude of food stands. There was not a plot of grass that wasn't crowded with people and everyone seemed to be having a pretty good time, even into the wee hours of the morning. The concert was entertaining. It cost extra to actually get into the concert grounds but the fence was really low and most people just crowded around and watched from afar. Apparently, the band is like a Bolivian Rolling Stones. They've been around for 35 years but the demographic of the crowd was mostly youth. They were really into the music and singing along. I'm glad that I went and I especially liked the craft stands; it was good that I didn't bring more money than I did or I would have ended up with more trinkets than is healthy. I enjoyed myself but I think that next year, I'll rest up better and get an earlier start.
Sunday, May 6, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment