Here is an example of before and after a day in Uspha
I've been composing this entry in my head for awhile and should have posted it sooner, so as not to make a liar out of myself. Bolivia is currently in winter, or the dry season, and I haven't experienced rain since the end of March which is almost four months. I can't say that with complete truthfulness because apparently it did rain briefly last night while I was in the shower. Even a sprinkle killed some of the dust in the air which has made today very pleasant. It has been very difficult at times to work in a pueblo without paved roads or sidewalks. Up until recently it was very bearable. All this week the sky has been overcast with threatening looking thunderstorms but not one drop fell. A disappointing tease. With the clouds came the wind. It was incredible in Uspha. As I was waiting for the bus, dust was blowing everywhere. There was grit in my mouth and eyes so that I could barely keep them open, not that there was anything to see anyway. The houses on the hill not more than 200 yards away were almost completely obscured by the dust and dirt. Rick said that on his way home the dust had made it into the city and the Cristo was barely visible.
During the dry season, there are nights where the temperatures get low enough for snow but since it is the dry season there usually isn't any. This morning, because of the humidity and those storm clouds, the mountains were snow-capped and quite beautiful. Only occasionally have I seen only the highest peak of Tunari with snow.

2 comments:
Wow. I had no idea that the dry season was, well, that dry!
Emily:
I finally got around to reading your blog. Thanks for taking the time to write it. Having been in the position of the one who is living abroad and writing for the folks at home, I know it can be a bit of a chore at times.
Give my regards to everyone. I hope they all are doing well. I'm still hoping to make my trip to Bolivia in the Fall of '08. It looks promising.
Fr. Martin (from DC)
Post a Comment