Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Explanation

It has caught my attention that the frequency of my posts has diminished dramatically over the last several months. I know that it has caught the attention of others because I have heard about it and justifiably so. It would be easy for me to say "well I've been busy" but I've been thinking a lot about it and I don't think I can let myself off that easy. Here are some of the things that came to mind.

It is not that I don't have anything to say. I have a lot on my mind and it is probably best to get it out but for a long time I've been struggling with how to say it. As you can well imagine there is a lot of pain and sadness that I witness and that is not the easiest thing in the world to share. There is also joy and happiness. That is much easier to share but there is a lot of responsibility that I feel to portray my mission experience in all its realities. Unfortunately in my struggle to find a balance I have let go the responsibility all together.

Things have been intense lately. There was an 18 year old girl killed in the city, boyfriend is the prime suspect, from the barrio where I work. I didn't know her and her mom isn't in our women's group but the tragedy has affected the community a lot. The last that I heard, which was a couple days ago, the mom didn't have enough money to get her daughter's body released from the morgue. This incident has been really hard on me. I think what it has done more than anything is remind me of the mortality of the women that I do work with and their children. I've grown to care for them so much that it would be truly devastating to lose one of them.

With every death comes rebirth and I am happy to announce a new member to the Mineros San Juan community. She has yet to be named but one of the women that I work with gave birth last night to her first child. I'm told, by her sister, that she and the baby are doing quite well. I am leaving tomorrow for the rainforest for a Franciscan eco-theology retreat and will return to work on November 5th. I'm excited to check in on new mother and daughter.

I am looking forward to some time to reflect and recharge during this retreat and start anew my commitment and dedication to my ministry and my blog. I hope that everyone is well and I'll write again with pictures from the rainforest.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Emily! Ha, I posted. Hope all is going well in Bolivia. Also, did it occur to you that you are the shortest person in that picture of the group up there. You probably did, but it's ok to be short :)
I found this page from your facebook profile. It's fun to read what you have been doing.
Also, is it now rolling into spring there... today was the first day in a while in Arizona that it didn't hit 90. The high was only 86 which was nice! It's finally cooling down I guess.
I hope Bolivia life is going great for you!!

Unknown said...

dude. i can't even imagine all that goes through your mind on one day. i love hearing what you're up to. much more fun than writing papers, making presentations, and all that stuff. but anyways. just wanted to drop ya a line. miss ya!!