Thursday, May 28, 2009

A Mini-Series of the Gray

My class of ninth graders has been dwindling recently and I've been trying to talk to the students and parents to figure out why. The population of ninth grade students ranges in age from 14 to 16 years old, with a few exceptions. It didn't take long for me to discover that the kids aren't coming to my class because they have to work or watch their siblings. I'll also mention that the vast majority of computer class dropouts are girls, not boys. While I am sad and frustrated to see these kids go, I am content that my class IS extracurricular and they seem to be continuing their studies in school and haven't completely dropped out...yet.
Before I came to Bolivia and started working with the people of Mineros San Juan, I had a lot of preconceived notions of what is right and wrong. Education is the priority. Leave a man that beats you. Input equal output--meaning hard work equals just results. With about six months left in Bolivia and two and a half years under my belt I've been wondering what the final word is; what grand lesson will I take away from this experience? Lately I've been thinking that grand lesson is that it isn't black and white, and the resulting gray area is wrought with very difficult and complicated questions. A preview of blog entries to come: a mini-series of the gray--I plan to share what I've witnessed of the gray area to those notions I held so steadfast back in December 2006.

No comments: