Translation to English by: Me
Well, all of you should know by now that I am returning to my country and I will not be with you next year. It is with great sorrow that I leave you and continue on with my life outside Bolivia but I know that I am leaving you with everything that you need to move forward.
We started the year with the book, Oh the Places You’ll Go by Dr. Seuss. I want to remind you of its integral message:
On you will go
though the weather be foul.
On you will go
though your enemies prowl.
On you will go
though the Hakken-Kraks howl.
Onward up many
a frightening creek,
though your arms may get sore
and your sneakers may leak.
On and on you will hike,
And I know you'll hike far
and face up to your problems
whatever they are.
Now listen to me carefully. I am NOT computer class. Computer class will continue next year and my only wish is that you continue taking classes even though I will not be here. Continue with your studies, continue taking advantage of the wonderful opportunity of computer class, continue moving forward to better your futures. If you remember nothing else from me, please remember that I believe in you. I believe that you can realize your dreams. You have the power within yourselves to accomplish what others say is impossible. You can do it, I’m sure of it. You just need to take the first step.
When I arrived in 2007, I could not speak even one word of Spanish. The computer classes started in 2008 and I did not have one minute of experience teaching adolescents. You all have been very patient with me during these three years and for that I thank you. Thank you for letting me into your lives. Thank you for giving me the opportunity to share with you what I know and for teaching me what you know. I feel as though Proyecto Horizonte and the entire barrio of Mineros San Juan are a second home for me and I will always remember all of you with love and joy. I will leave you with a poem by ee cummings.
I carry your heart with me
i carry your heart with me(i carry it in
my heart)i am never without it(anywhere
i go you go; and whatever is done
by only me is your doing)
i fear
no fate(for you are my fate)i want
no world(for you are my world,my true)
and it's you are whatever a moon has always meant
and whatever a sun will always sing is you
here is the deepest secret nobody knows
(here is the root of the root and the bud of the bud
and the sky of the sky of a tree called life;which grows
higher than the soul can hope or mind can hide)
and this is the wonder that's keeping the stars apart
i carry your heart(i carry it in my heart)

2 comments:
So, Emily - Nora's mom again. Since I have only recently read your entire blog, I easily remembered that you began your blog with ee cummings - addressed to the people in America who you love. How fitting that you should end your blog with the same ee cummings, only this time addressed to the people of Bolivia who you love. What a fabulous "ride" you have had; I am excited for Nora as she begins her adventure (and I can't wait to read her final comments 3 years from now! Thanks for sharing!
Hi Emily,
Any chance Nora and I could connect with you and your mom after you return home but before Nora leaves?
Thanks!
Post a Comment