Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Gas Shortage

Yesterday morning we ran out of gas at Casa de Betty. Normally, that wouldn't be a problem because trucks drive around the neighborhoods packed to the brim with tanks. They hit the side of the tanks with metal poles to make a ringing sound, announcing their presence. Yeah it sounds pretty stupid to me too, but as far as I know nobody has been blown up yet. I haven't heard that melodious ringing in many weeks. There has been flooding in the east due to all the rain this year and the roads are washed out. As a result, there has been no gas brought into Cochabamba for quite some time and those tanks don't last forever. Betty has a microwave, and a crockpot and she just bought a coffee maker to boil the water. Additionally, there is no heat or air conditioning in the house and the water is heading electrically so just the cooking is affected by the gas shortage. Things should be okay but there is still a bit of panic in the air. We listen to the news in the morning but there is no talk of how long this gas drought will last.

Speaking of food. I was eating my supper the other day and was startled by what I saw on the condiment bottles. I'll give you a minute to look closely.



I'll have to employ the transitive property on this one. The ketchup bottle has a tomato on it and ketchup is made from tomatoes. The mustard bottle has a little girl on it. I can only conclude that Soylent Green....I mean....MOSTANZA IS PEOPLE!!! (thanks Charlton Heston)

No comments: