Wednesday, March 28, 2007

A New Low

A Maryknoll family came to visit this week because their term of service was over and they wanted to say their last goodbyes. The family had stayed with Betty during their time at language school and so they stayed a night with us to complete the circle. The couple had two kids, five and seven years old. The morning after they spent the night the youngest, Mary, came into the kitchen and was giving me morning greetings in Spanish (the family is from Maryland) and then left. She came back in about 10 minutes later and asked me something in Spanish and I had no clue what she was saying. I asked her to repeat it even though I knew perfectly well I still wouldn't get it the second time around. I told her that I didn't understand and asked if she could say it in English. She gave me the worst look and then asked, in English, if she could watch the TV in my room. I was so embarassed that I had to say yes. I'm glad that I've spent the last two and a half months in this place and still can't even converse with a five year old girl from the States.

Sigh

1 comment:

Mary said...

Friend, please do not consider that to be a low. Besides, I think we all know kids are uppity and annoying anyway. My Spanish teacher treats me like a 5 year old in class in front of everybody. Moving my notebook and telling me where to sit and whom to work with and when I can move back. It's truly ridiculous. You're listening abilities will improve rapidly, I guarantee it. I've been in the language for 5 years and I couldnt tell you what the girl would have said either. It'll come. Patience.