Holy Thursday
The Roman Catholic tradition, at least in the United States, for the thursday of holy week is that the priest washes the feet of a select few from the congregation and at the conclusion of the service the Eucharist is moved out of the church, usually to the hall. All the statues are covered with purple cloth and the church is empty. The same tradition is carried out in Bolivia as well but then continues. It is customary for people to make a "pilgrimage" to fourteen different churches within the city of Cochabamba. The number represents the fourteen different stations of the cross. Booklets are available with special prayers to be said at each church. It is a cool theory but plays out quite chaotically. Each church is participating in its own mass while people are coming in and saying their prayers and moving on to the next church. The streets are packed with people and bands are parading down the avenues. It is truly a sight to behold.
Good Friday
Again, the US Roman Catholic tradition for the friday of holy week has an emphasis on fasting and personal reflection. Abstinence from meat seems to be about the only similarity I can find between Bolivia and the US on this point. Good Friday in Cochabamba consists of a 12 course feast eaten as a late lunch or early dinner. The number represents the twelve apostles present at the last supper. I was invited to partake of this meal with my former host mother and her family this afternoon. I'm still stuffed. We didn't make it to all twelve but including the desserts we had seven different plates of food. I can't remember a Good Friday where I was full. Instead of personal reflection this is a day full of family time and getting together around the table to share and celebrate.
Holy Saturday and Easter
Really the highlight of Holy Week for the Bolivians is Good Friday. Few go to mass or celebrate Easter on Sunday. There is really not a whole lot else to say about that.
Have a great Easter everyone. Jesus ha resucitado!!
Friday, March 21, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
I thought there were 12 stations of the cross?!!?
Post a Comment