Upon returning to Bolivia, I made a decision to make this book the focus of my last year in Bolivia. I will use it in all of my computer classes and if nothing else these kids are going to hear the message that they are capable of great things! What is so beautifully presented in this book is that it won't be easy and at times it will be scary and frustrating but it is important to keep moving forward. The first day of class this year I had them write me a little passage about what they want to be when they grow up. A task that kids in the US are doing as early as first grade but some of my ninth graders just stared at the blank computer screen. I read the book to each of my classes and the kids really responded to the message. They were able to identify the major themes and seemed very excited about the whole exercise. Books are an expensive luxury in Bolivia so not only do these kids not have books in their houses they certainly don't have reading time with their parents. Even the older kids were on the edge of their seats as I read this picture book to them.
This is my favorite passage from the book. The challenges somehow seem more tangible and daunting to these kids than they ever seemed to me.
But on you will go
though the weather be foul
On you will go
though your enemies prowl
On you will go
though the Hakken-Kraks howl
Onward up many
a frightening creek,
though your arms may get sore
and your sneakers may leak.
On and on you will hike
and I know you'll hike far
and face up to your problems
whatever they are.

1 comment:
Em, I'm now a fan of Dr. Seuss. Love, Daddy XXXOOO
Post a Comment