Sunday, March 8, 2009

Coolest Kid on the Block

I love this picture that my boss snapped of Rudy and myself. It captured a moment of playfulness and fun that we often share. The best part of my day, as a rule, is at 4:30pm when Rudy is released from daycare and runs to my computer lab to give me my hug. He is the youngest of seven and as a result is one of the most affectionate Bolivians I have met but he is also fearless and tough. My favorite image of him was last year during PE. I was watching the group of four year olds running across the court, doing a somersault on a little mattress, flipping a sign and then making the return trip. Most of the kids were absentmindedly jogging along and were slow and deliberate in their somersaults. Rudy's turn came and he took off at full sprint towards the mattress. When he arrived, without hesitation or slowing, he became airborne in a rolling dive onto the mattress and was immediately on his feet sprinting towards the sign. The control he commanded over his little four year old body was impressive and hilarious. He is a great kid and his joy and laughter give me hope when I fear the worst for these kids. They are resilient and strong, more than they should have to be, and those traits will benefit them well.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

hey I can't believe that you only have 9 months left!