http://www.roanoke.com/editorials/letters/wb/200719
A letter that I wrote to the editor was published in the Sunday edition of the Roanoke Times (see link). I feel very passionately about the issue but I've been reflecting on my reaction recently. From the moment I heard about what has been happening to science at Radford, I have been writing letters to the media and administration, talking to the offices of congressmen and the governor. I've been wondering if I would have reacted the same if I was home and working full time in a career. While I have been in Bolivia over two years now and have somewhat built a life here there are moments where I feel very far away.
When I heard about what was happening to chemistry and physics I just wanted to be there. I wanted to be back in a world where I knew what I was doing and had some confidence in the expectations, responsibilities and probable outcome. While classes, labs, and reports were always stressful there was still a sense of comfort in that. I imagine that I went a little overboard on my reaction to this news because I wanted to be relevant and connected to that world that I left behind. When I return to work tomorrow I'm not sure who will have been beaten over the weekend or who had to wash clothes all day to earn about 2 US$ but a mole will always be 6.022x10^23 units and a mole of carbon will always weigh 12.01 grams. These recent events have confirmed that no matter where life takes me after Bolivia, chemistry, and science as a whole, will always remain a comfortable and consistent part of my life.
Sunday, April 12, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment