The vast majority of my students come from the primary school that is also under the umbrella of the NGO. I was recently in the principle's office coordinating with him on scheduling and whatnot. While I was waiting for him to finish up with someone else a piece of paper on his desk caught my eye because it had some of my students' names on it. Knowing my place in the world and trying not to snoop, I let my eyes linger for just a moment before turning away and occupying myself with something else. It was just long enough to read that one of my seventh graders is in a local gang. It is not surprising considering the conditions in which these kids live and the lack of supervision that poverty creates in a household. Parents are out of the house working all hours just to make ends meet; often leaving a child as young as seven or eight in charge of the younger siblings.
I had some problems with this boy and some of his friends last year when he was in sixth grade. They showed up to my class after having just smoked a cigarette. I had a talk with them. I imagine they are probably still smoking but they never showed up smelling like smoke to my lab again. I knew that they were trouble makers but the beauty of this extracurricular class is that it allows the kids to start fresh in something. Yesterday this boy was in my class and I had to do some review with him and a girl because they were absent last week. I was struck by how attentive he was and engaged in what I was explaining. When I finished he went right to work to catch up to the others on the document they were writing. I went back to my desk and watched him awhile. I just couldn't believe that this was the same kid involved in gang-like activities. This class gives these kids the opportunity to advance in a skill that is fun and a self-esteem boost while getting them off the street. I don't expect to save this boy, get him to quit smoking, or free him from the gang. My goal is to give him a chance, once a week, to be himself in a safe and constructive environment.
Wednesday, April 8, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment