Sunday, March 29, 2009

Right To Life...for whom?

I was told to blog about whatever is on my mind even if it is challenging. That was my version of a warning. A child from the daycare died recently. He didn't die under the care of the daycare but over the weekend. He was one of triplets but one of the brothers died shortly after birth. Now there remains just one. The tragedy of his death led me to think about life, and more specifically the "Right To Life" campaign in the States.
I thought of the amount of money and force behind the movement to end abortion in the States. The platform of those demonstrators is the unnecessary death of a child that wasn't given the chance to be born and live the life God had planned. Trying to comprehend the death of this little boy I asked myself if he was any less innocent than an unborn fetus? Was he able to realize God's plan for him after one year of life? The amount of children under the age of five that die painfully preventable deaths around the world is staggering. Why don't people hold vigils for these children? Why aren't people taking to the streets in anger and organizing marches in DC? Why is the life of an unborn child more precious and worthy of advocating for but the moment that it exits the womb people aren't invested in making sure that child lives to see adulthood, or even adolescence?
A lot of challenging questions. I ask them of myself as well. I wonder in what way I lead my life that assures that children don't die of preventable and treatable disease and hunger.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I don't understand. Are you saying his parents killed him over the weekend?

Emily Ward said...

Nooo...not sure how that came across. He was malnourished, got sick, his weak little body couldn't fight off the disease, and he died.