Saturday, October 17, 2009

The Genius of Bob

Exactly seven weeks from today I will arrive in Alexandria so I think it is natural that I am allowing my mind to wander towards the reality of life back in the US. I fantasize about a belated Thanksgiving surrounded by my favorite foods and jumping into the ocean at midnight on New Years. I calculate my theoretical living expenses so that I can get a better idea of what kind of salary will be sufficient. I dread the final goodbyes and worry constantly about my students. More than anything though, I wonder how I will meld my experience in Bolivia with my future in the US. How do I honor this time and the people I’ve met along the way?
I paid a little closer attention to Bob Dylan’s “A Hard Rain’s A-Gonna Fall” and gained an even greater appreciation for it. It basically asks the questions: where have you been? what did you see? what did you hear? who did you meet? The final question is: what’ll you do now? The answer is:

I’ll tell it and speak it and think it and breathe it
And reflect from the mountains so all souls can see it

I’m not saying that I have all the answers. I’m not even sure I have any answers. My time in Bolivia has profoundly changed my outlook on life and my comprehension of the world. The least I can do is embrace the changes and let myself be a bridge of understanding to shorten the distance between the two worlds. Thanks Bob

No comments: