Last night after work I had a date to meet up with some friends outside of Cine Center. It is Cochabamba's biggest, most successful, movie theater/food court/arcade. It feels just like a mall from home and with restaurant names like Tuesday, Wrap 'n Roll, and Flavor Burst it is probably funded by the same people. Needless to say, only the rich kids hang out at Cine Center. In fact if one's only experience of Cochabamba was the food court it would make one question why Bolivia is considered the second poorest country in the western hemisphere.
Yesterday I was waiting for the ladies to show up and this particular girl caught my attention. Her hair was all gooped up, tons of make-up, hot pink accessories, stylish clothes and she was giggling and jumping around trying desperately to impress the boy that had just shown up. She was in complete contrast to the girls I work with on a daily basis and I couldn't believe that they were from the same city. It made me wonder what this privileged girl thought of life in Bolivia. Is she aware of the devastating poverty around her? What does she think of the women begging on the street with their infant children sleeping on the sidewalk? I tried my best not to judge her because I'm sure I was as clueless, if not more, when I was her age. However, the sound of her giggles and the light reflecting off of her jewelry felt like laughter and dismissal in the faces of the children that I see on a daily basis and care so much about. I thought of my students, what they were doing last night, and the ridicule they get from city kids. In the end though, I think Little Miss Hot Pink just gave me an appreciation and respect for the character, strength, and perseverance of my beloved students.
Sunday, October 4, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment