Sunday, October 18, 2009

RFN - In a pinch


I would like to take a moment to recognize a special man for doing something that is probably accidental. Richard Nalen, one of my FMS community mates, seems to have an uncanny ability to appear in moments of great distress for me. I'll share two of those incidences.
I got some nasty altitude sickness just moments after our plane touched down in La Paz when we arrived back in January 2007. I was in the back of the plane, nauseous and very light headed. Some of you may remember that I was so nauseous that I wanted to prepare the airsickness bag just in case and when I put my head into the bag to open it I realized that it had been used. Meaning, my hand was covered in someone else's vomit. While trying to focus on staying conscious and cleaning my hand, I had missed the fact that the plane was getting ready to head on to Santa Cruz. Right at that moment Richard came bounding back onto the plane, grabbed my carry on and helped me get off the plane and through to customs. The obvious extrapolation is that if he hadn't been there I would be writing from Santa Cruz right now.
Just this morning I was walking down the street to meet Richard and his lovely lady, Kristen when I had a sudden and very unpleasant encounter with a very drunk man. I won't go into too many details in the hopes of keeping my parents from overreacting. The point is that just as I was starting to get scared and desperate Richard appeared out of a doorway with a, "Good Morning Emily!" I was able to get safely into the house and on with my day.
Does Richard have super human spidey senses or just good luck being in the right place at the right time? Hard to say but either way I'm thankful for it. Also, thanks to Brice for absorbing my anxieties and diverting them to more worthy ventures like unionizing Wal-Mart...or at least getting banned for trying.

2 comments:

Sherry said...

Please tell Richard that when I thank God for my many blessings I have included him since he saved you from a very inconvenient and trying airplane ride. Now he will get escalated in the list of gratitudes for saving you from something your parents might "overreact" about! Hurray for Richard. And for Kristen who is very thoughtful to be out of danger at the opportune moments!

Mary said...

Hurray for Richard!