Thursday, January 11, 2007

Altitude Sickness

First full day in Cochabamba and I can honestly say that everything is fine and adjustments are going well. I was scared of everything yesturday. Scared to walk outside or do anything. Everyone´s houses are fenced in and closed off so you feel safe at home. We took a taxi from the airport to the house and I was surprised at the number of dogs running around. They were not very threatening and mostly skiddish but it is still unnerving. Today I feel much more secure and I know that once I get my routine set up I´ll feel better each day.

It should be noted that this post is kind of gross. When we first landed in La Paz, 12ooo ft, I didnt feel very well on the plane. I was lightheaded even sitting in the seat. It must have been the altitude and the heat on the plane and the anxiety about customs. Kristen and Rick were about 10 rows ahead of me and didnt understand when I told them I wasn´t feeling well so I was all alone. I started to get nauseus and saw that there was a barf bag in the seat so I opening it and put my head in to pop it open and the bag was definately used so there was someone else´s vomit all over my hand...gross. It was about that point that I snapped out of it and realized that I needed to get off the plane because it was still going to Santa Cruz. I was able to wash my hands in the bathroom and it was about that time Rick came back on the plane to get me. I was still lightheaded until we got on the plane to Cochabamba but not too bad.

That is my one horror story so far. Everything else has been just fine and what´s a first day without great stories.

6 comments:

Ray said...

Glad you didn't barf! (Oh yeah, and glad to hear you are safe and sound, too :)

Unknown said...

Glad, and relieved, that you are safe and sound. How are you posting to the blog--I assume it is from the Internet Cafe.

SchoolAdmin.com said...

Wow, American Airline is hurtin' -- no luggage tags and used barf bags!

Thanks for the info, how difficult is it to get to the Internet cafe and what are the options there?

When you see Rick, tell him he's go my good list for his assistance to you. :-)

Anonymous said...

What is your altitude compared to
LaPaz? What's the temp there? We are 24 today.

Mary said...

ummm, I was expecting a lot of things at the beginning of that story...but a used barf bag had never crossed my mind. Gross.

Thanks for the text, btw. I was glad to get it even though it was completely unexpected.

Hasta luego mi amiga.

Smythe said...

Bird,
Hope you won't be angry but I laughed when I read this. And I used to think flying sucked when I couldn't get my peanuts. On Areo BO you get someone else's peanuts. Glad to read the later posts and see that you've adjusted. :-)