And the celebrations continue. Yesterday was the day to offer ritual to Pachamama, the Aymaran word for Mother Earth. As I was eating my breakfast, Betty came in and plopped a bag of balloons on the table saying that we had to blow them up. As I was blowing up balloons she was setting up the smoldering coals and hanging the balloons. We threw confetti all over the garden and hung streamers everywhere, especially on the plants. Betty was very open to me taking pictures of the whole ritual. We were walking back to the house and she threw a handful of confetti at my face...for luck. There was a bundle of incense, cigarettes and other small trinkets that she placed in the fire as an offering to Pachamama and then we all had a glass of beer, after pouring half the glass onto the offering. It was very sacred and meaningful and I felt privileged that she included me. There is also a traditional meal that goes with the day but Betty and her father went to Tarata, where Betty's aunt lives, for the family celebration. I was invited but had just gotten back from Carnaval and was too tired to participate in more fun.
Pictures:

Pack of offering in the coals
Betty pouring beer on the offering. She proceeded to also pour beer all over the garden.

We hung this bundle on the front door to prevent any evil from coming to the house.
Streamers that were hung over everything, including ourselves and the dogs.
Betty throwing confetti on everything, every corner of the garden and on the car (which isn't even driven)
More streamers
Betty and I decorating each other.
PS - Pictures from Carnaval are to follow.
2 comments:
We need a holiday like this!! I'm going to declare Groundhog Day the new official "throw confetti everywhere" day because it needs a little more celebration.
But in all seriousness, that sounds like a fantastic tradition. Who doesn't love Mother Earth?
PS. That is a really bad picture of you, lol. :-P
I love the pictures! Everything looks so festive - and you know how much I like festive!!
I am enjoying getting caught up with your writings/photos this AM. Ray just instructed me on how to post; I hope this makes it to you. As always, I'm a bit behind on all of this. Sigh...
We, my Sacred Circle of Ladies, used to talk a lot about Mother Earth and the Sacred Feminine in my monthly meetings led by Wanda.
Sounds like a worthwile way to 'waste' beer. :-)
Love you girlie - sure do miss you!
cw
Post a Comment