Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Visas

The process for getting a visa, lasting only one year, has given me a lot of empathy for immigrants trying to become documented in the states. The language institute has been invaluable during this time. They have sent someone with us through each step of the process which is helpful for two reasons. A) it is much easier to follow blindly than to lead and B) the government workers respect Bolivians more and didn't give us a hard time. I still don't know exactly what we did. The first step involved getting our pictures taken, fingerprints, and logging our signature for the record. The second step was a blood test. We heard a variety of stories about why the blood test was necessary. Screening for diseases from syphilis to diabetes, in actuality, we found out later, that it was an AIDS test.
***
Some of you know my history with things like blood tests, the fainting, the convulsions, the pure panic of all witnesses. I'm happy to report that I was able to maintain consciousness the whole time, due mostly to the fact that I was bawling my eyes out. The tears started flowing in the taxi on the way there and continued until well after the 45 second procedure was finished. I just missed my mommy.
***
The third step is still a complete mystery to me. We went to a police station, walked past the homicide division with a line of people out the door, and handed our papers to a woman. One of the papers in question was obtained outside the building after waiting in line for 20 minutes and paying 200 Bs for a form. We were instructed by our guide to not talk to the woman, we were fingerprinted again and left.

We have one more step to go, I can't wait to see what exciting ambiguity lies ahead.

1 comment:

SchoolAdmin.com said...

Your mommy misses you too, but I don't really miss that drama. Kristen and Rick get big kudos!