Sunday, January 14, 2007

Host Family

We moved in with our host families yesturday and I was really nervous at first because Betty said that she spoke no english she knows enough words that we can get basic communication down. Plus her niece is staying with her right now and she speaks some english. I am living right next door to Ginny ´s host family so I can go knock on her door and say, can Ginny come out to play ? There are two dogs and two birds and the dogs are pretty cute they like to play and chase each other, and unlike most dogs in Cochabamba they do not bark a lot.

We went to the language institute today so we wont get lost tomorrow and met some of the faculty that happened to be working on a Sunday. Turns out that all the families had a three day workshop on cooking vegetarian meals and Betty has been turnin them out like a champ. We have had two meals together so far and they were both great!! This morning I saw her vegetarian recipe colletion. I can´t wait to see what is in store for me tonight.

I have my own room and kind of anteroom. It seems to me like my room was an addition and the ante room as I call it was like a back porch because the ceiling of the room is the roof to the outside which made for great storm listening last night as I felt like there were sheets of water coming into the house. There is a tv in my room with cable and as expected, all the programs are dubbed in spanish except the E! channel so I spent the evening last night watching shows on Jennifer Aniston and child stars with spanish subtitles. I look forward to expanding my tv viewing options as I learn more spanish. Obviously the point of learning spanish is so that I can watch tv...

Well in conclusion things with Betty are going really well and we´ll see how language school turns out tomorrow

4 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

So, how close is the Internet Cafe to the home of your host family? Also, will you be able to use your own computer at the Internet Cafe? Congrats to Indy and Chicago!!

Smythe said...

E-bird,
Great blog. I'm trying to visualize the vegetation. Can you describe what things look like? How far do you walk before you're "out of town"? I'm thinking that it's summer there or are you so close to the equator that it's always hot?

Ray said...

Pictures...we need pictures!